As a retailer of kitchenware, we offer for sale a range of bladed items which are restricted for sale to persons over the age of 18. We take the responsibility of age verification very seriously and adhere to following policy.
As part of the transactional process, we will attempt to verify the age of the person purchasing any bladed product using Experian’s Prove ID Service. This system will seek to verify the customer’s details against several databases in order to clarify the customer’s age.
There are two possible outcomes when we perform this check.
1. The customer’s age is verified and they are confirmed as over the age of 18. In this case, the order will progress through our systems and be delivered as normal.
2. The customer’s age cannot be verified and it is not possible to confirm whether they are over the age of 18 or not. In this case, our Customer Care Team will attempt to contact the customer for verification of their age. If successful, the order will be processed and delivered, if unsuccessful, the order will be cancelled. Age-restricted goods display the following text on the product detail page of our website.
“Please note under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (as amended) we are only allowed to sell knives to persons aged 18 and over. Details of our age verification process can be found within our Sale of Age Restricted Goods Policy”.
In ProCook stores the following measures are taken on the display and sale of bladed items:
1. Point of sale is displayed next to knife displays containing the text “1996 Offensive Weapons Act. It is an offence under the above Act to sell Knives or blades to anyone under the age of 18. Please do not be offended if we ask for ID.”
2. Our mission statement is displayed in store windows and at the cash desk and contains the following text: “It is illegal to sell knives to anyone who is under the age of 18. Proof of age must be provided when requested.”
3. All Sales advisors in our stores carry out Knife Sales training on commencement of employment and then again on a quarterly basis so that they understand the law and their obligations on behalf of ProCook. This is logged in their training record.
4. Sales advisors check government issued photo ID for any customer who appears to be under 21 and refuses the sale if age cannot be verified.
5. Our EPOS till system prompts the advisor to check and verify age for every restricted item sold. This check is logged on the customer receipt as “Alert Confirmed: 18+ Only”